We take you through five key statistics that you should be aware of ahead of France’s second World Cup game vs Switzerland.
1. France have scored 99 goals in their World Cup History:
If France are to go on and beat the Swiss this evening, then they will break the three figure goal barrier at the World Cup. Karim Benzema, the emblematic talisman, could well become the man to do exactly that.
2. France have never lost to Switzerland in a competitive game:
Les Bleus have only met their Swiss counterparts four times in international competitive fixtures and have drawn three times and beaten them once.
3. Olivier Giroud has scored 7 goals in 15 starts for France:
The Arsenal man will start this evening and is expected to play in the central role with Benzema out wide. He currently has a ratio of just under a goal every two starts for Les Bleus.
4. Karim Benzema (2 goals) set his sights on Just Fontaine’s record of scoring 13 goals in one World Cup:
France’s centrepiece Karim Benzema has the opportunity, with France’s favourable group, to try and eclipse the great Frenchman Just Fontaine’s record of scoring 13 goals in the 1958 World Cup. Benzema has a great side behind him to do just that.
5. When France have won one group stage match, they have gone onto the final of all the World Cup’s they have participated in since 1986:
Les Bleus have a notorious history in recent World Cups of being horrendously good or notoriously bad. After their victory over Honduras, do we dare to dream?