« Back

Ligue 1 Review: Saturday 27th September

Lille 1-0 Bastia:

Overall, this game had very few talking points. Lille had the lion’s share of possession throughout, without creating all that many chances. In fact, Bastia had frustrated them for 40-odd minutes and looked like they would head into the break all square.

However, that is when Divock Origi struck. He picked the ball up on the right, cut back inside on his weaker left foot, and smashes a low shot into the bottom corner. In the second half, Lille held on to their lead, without ever looking threatened by a fading Bastia side. Job well done for Les Dogues.

Lorient 0-2 Evian

The surprise result of the day. Evian took a very early lead in the second minute of the game through Kone, and that seemed to really set Lorient back. They could not gather any momentum going forwards, and were extremely poor in the first half, which Evian saw out a goal to the good.

In the second period, Lorient came out a changed side. They hit the woodwork twice in the space of a few minutes, and Evian were really clinging on. However, they managed to fight off the pressure and, in the 79th minute, hit their hosts with the final sucker punch. Barbosa completed a swift counter to put the game beyond Lorient’s reach. To make matters worse, Lorient’s Mesloub was sent off late on.

Metz 3-0 Reims

Metz fans will be delighted with their team’s performance. The home side were the better side throughout, but could not capitalise on their superiority in the first half, and the teams went into the break at 0-0. However, just 5 minutes into the second period, Metz took the lead thanks to a powerful Falcon header.

The key moment in the game came in the 64th minute. Reims’ Mavinga was sent off for a second yellow, allowing Metz to take complete control. They rounded off an easy victory through goals from Kashi and Falcon’s second, with Albaek becoming the second Reims player to see red in between the 2nd and 3rd Metz strikes.

Montpellier 2-1 Guingamp

In the most dramatic game of the evening, Montpellier came out on top against a battling Guingamp. After a goalless first half dominated by Montpellier, the home side took a deserved lead early in the second when Camara scored in the 49th minute. While Montpellier pressed for a second, they could not quite find it, and Guingamp slowly grew into the game…

The visitors finally struck in the 83rd minute, when Beauvue headed home from a deep cross to level the scores. However, if Guingamp thought they had rescued a point they were wrong. The ball broke to Montano in the 88th minute, and he made no mistake in curling past Samassa to score the winner. In the aftermath of the goal, Samassa appeared to head-but the referee, earning him a straight red card and, most likely, a lengthy suspension. Montpellier held out to claim all 3 points.

Latest news