« Back

Anthony Limbombe returns to Nantes squad after two years away

In his press conference this morning, Nantes manager Antoine Kombouaré has announced that Belgian midfielder Anthony Limbombe has returned to the senior squad after a two-year absence.

The manager had kept Les Canaris’ record signing out of the team all season, with the 27-year-old remaining in the reserves this campaign and suffering a muscle injury the year before.

However, the club had been told by the LFP to reinstate the Belgian into the squad or face sanctions, which could include a hefty fine or points deducation.

The club had recently been summoned once again to the governing body’s disciplinary commission, and were told that they had until April 5 to bring him back into the fray.

Limbombe has yet to appear under Kombouaré, his last match coming in March 2020 under Christian Gourcuff’s tenure.

Transcribed by RMC Sport, the current coach explained that “he’s returning to the senior squad on Saturday morning. Everything is going well. It’s a sporting choice, I held on until the end. I’ve taken into account the legal commission’s decision. In our last discussion, I told him that I had made the sporting choice. He made the legal choice. I have no other choice, I don’t want the club to be sanctioned. The institution is what’s important. Not me, not Limbombe.”

Latest news