France’s national team boss Didier Deschamps looks to have had it with the controversy surrounding Karim Benzema’s (35) injury just before Les Bleus’ World Cup opener against Australia. In an interview with Le Parisien last week, Deschamps gave his version of the facts regarding the 2022 Ballon d’Or’s departure from Qatar. According to Deschamps, it was Benzema’s decision to leave the squad at dawn on Sunday after the diagnosis that followed his Saturday night’s MRI scan in Doha’s Aspetar clinic.
It did not take long for Benzema to respond. The 35-year-old Real Madrid striker posted on Instagram in two separate posts: “What audacity” finished with a clown emoji and “That Didier. Goodnight.” Benzema then said he will explain himself “to the people.” Asked about Benzema’s antics on Instagram during his press conference that followed his latest squad announcement, Deschamps replied reluctantly. “I’m not watching social media. I know this is a subject of interest for you [reporters] because it leads to debate and controversies. As I said, I had to speak recently to say what happened and, to me, the matter is closed, it’s behind me. I’m not going to comment again on whatever is being said. What matters to me is what lies ahead, the future and those two upcoming games.”
Deschamps was asked again on the subject and seemed to describe Benzema’s inflammatory social media posts as “disturbances.” “We had disturbances and we always have had… I’m not gonna say more about this. You won’t have one more word from me on what I said earlier. I spoke up on what happened. Today, it’s behind me and nothing will make me say more on this subject.“
GFFN | Bastien Cheval