Ligue 1’s second-placed team Marseille have entered the race to sign Lorient striker Terem Moffi (23) and would be ready to include out-of-favour Senegalese forward Bamba Dieng (22) in a potential deal with the Brittany outfit, according to a report from Foot Mercato.
Earlier this Monday, L’Equipe claimed that OM would pursue a deal for Ligue 1’s second best goalscorer to bolster their attacking options. Marseille president Pablo Longoria and Marseille sporting director Javier Ribalta have both contacted the player’s entourage in order to lay the groundwork for a possible transfer. However, an offer is yet to be made, and it is accepted that it will take a significant financial outlay to conclude a deal.
But in order to reduce said outlay, OM would integrate Dieng as part of the deal. The Senegalese international, who scored against hosts Qatar at the World Cup, has been criticised lately by OM manager Igor Tudor regarding his cameo against Stade Rennais in a Coupe de France tie. The Croatian boss stated he “did not like the way he played and told him so” just after the win against Bruno Génésio’s team last Friday.
Dieng would welcome a new challenge and improved game time at Lorient, Foot Mercato report. But OM’s plan may be thwarted by Moffi’s desire to join OGC Nice, with whom he has already agreed personal terms. With Marseille entering the race to sign Moffi, the Ineos-owned club may have no choice but to go to a bidding war and improve their €20m offer for the Nigerian striker which will play right into Loïc Fery’s hands. Foot Mercato add that the Lorient president expects nothing less than a €25m fee for his forward.
GFFN | Bastien Cheval