Brazilian attacker and 31-year-old Neymar has been told by PSG club officials to seek an alternative team, as reported earlier this week.
The player himself wants to leave, after suffering from abuse from the Paris club’s fans which escalated during the 2022/23 campaign and culminated in tens of supporters turning out to chant aggressively outside of his house.
Contrary to reports in Spain, Les Parisiens will however not allow the Brazilian attacker to leave on a free transfer, as has been confirmed this evening by L’Équipe.
Neymar is not expected to take part in PSG’s opening fixture vs Lorient on Saturday evening – the club have officially said that this is due to a “virus,” but all French media are considering this to be a diplomatic way of justifying his absence.
Inside the club, talks are underway to figure out the best possible exit for all parties. Neymar has four different possible options that he is working on: Barcelona, Saudi Arabia, a club in the Premier League or the MLS and he is keeping all possibilities open. This is for several reasons, especially because PSG may also have a significant say on the identity of his future team.
Neymar would like to find an exit agreement with PSG first – some sort of mutual termination agreement where he would get the club to still pay him a considerable portion of the €120m net that he is currently due of the next four years of his current contract with the Ligue 1 champions.
PSG refuse to listen to the idea of allowing him to leave on a free transfer. The PSG board feels that the player represents serious value and want a transfer fee. At present, Les Parisiens are not excluding the possibility of keeping the player in case they do not receive acceptable proposals for Neymar.